Monday, January 21, 2013

Ezra James Saffeels

I think about Ezra a lot.  I don't even know how many times a day I realize I've been sitting in the same place just caught up in my thoughts about my sweet baby.  Last week I walked to the cemetery.  I was having a hard day and wanted to be as close to him as possible.  I'm so thankful we chose to bury him in Belcrest cemetery.  It really is a beautiful place.  I was sitting on the grass looking at his little resting spot.  There is a temporary placard that says Ezra J. Saffeels at the top.  There is a little green cup filled with white daisies from my in-laws.  There is a cute little rubber duck dressed in a pumpkin, put there by my Dad, and a tiny ceramic pumpkin from my sister.  Pumpkins will always make me think of Ezra.  He was our little October pumpkin baby.

As I sat by his grave, I couldn't stop thinking about how different the end of 2012 and beginning of 2013 have been.  It's been the new year for almost a month and everyone's been talking about the fresh start and new goals that come with this time of year.  Parts of my life are beginning to settle into a new routine.  As January has come and is almost gone, some normal activity has returned.  But a huge part of my heart, the mommy part, is having the most difficult time letting go of  2012.  My heart is still so deeply wrapped up in the moments of joy and anticipation.  In the moments of saddness and sorrow.  It is so hard to think about moving forward when all my heart wants to do is go back and remember.  The further I get from Oct. 14th, the more I desperately want to cling to every moment I spent with my sweet baby.

As I sat by his grave I looked around.  A tall, leafless tree towered above his little spot.  When we picked the plot it was so important to me that it was by a tree.  I don't know why, but for some reason it comforted me that he wouldn't be buried out in the wide open space of the cemetery.  Belcrest is unlike any other cemetery I've ever seen.  It has rolling slopes, is spattered with clusters of trees, and has a small pond surrounded by benches and shrubs.  It sometimes reminds me of a park.  And though
it isn't my baby's home, it's the place I can go and sit and be close to where he lays.  It holds the memory of the last moments I spent with my baby.  The last time I got to hold him and kiss his sweet little nose.  The last moment I got to see his sweet little face and cuddle him close to me. The moment we said goodbye here on earth until we truly meet him for the first time in Heaven.

As I sat there in the quiet fog I kept thinking about all the life I experienced with my little Ezra in those 9 months.  Before I even knew he was there, my body was already changing and working hard to grow that sweet little boy.  I remember the incredible feeling of awe I felt when I saw the words pregnant on the home test I took that Sunday in February.  Pregnant.  That one word changed my life forever.  I was a mom, even in that early moment.

Throughout those 9 months I was continually amazed to watch the life of my baby boy form and grow.  I loved the numerous ultrasound appointments, where Ezra went from looking like a little jelly bean to a fully formed precious baby.  I loved seeing his little profile and watching his sweet little fingers reaching to touch his toes.  I thank The Lord for those amazing, tearful moments where we got to sit and watch our sweet little boy living life already.  Ezra was so active.  From the first time I felt Ezra moving at 16 weeks, he made his presence known with little wiggles and kicks everyday.  I loved every squirm I felt.  He was an early mover and Tim was able to feel him a week after I did in week 17.  I will always cherish our nightly ritual of laying in bed and watching Ezra kick and push and seeing my belly move.  What a sweet, precious life God gave us to watch in those moments.

This is the first time I've been able to write anything since we lost Ezra.  I've sat down numerous times to try and have always been at a loss for what to say.  In these past few months, I've been in a place I never thought I'd be.  I've been trying to live life a day at a time with a broken heart and a hole in my life that I thought would be filled with Ezra.  The words of many songs hold a
new meaning after losing him.  In those days we spent at the hospital, the lyrics from the song, "It is Well" kept playing through our heads.  The line, "when sorrows like sea billows roll" is such an accurate description of grief.  It really does roll over you like the motion of waves.  Sometimes it is like a small, calm wave.  Definitely present, but not enough to drown you.  And other moments it's unharnessed power crashes over you and makes you feel helpless and pinned down by it's strength.  But through every wave of grief we know we can hold tightly to our Savior, our only hope in those moments, and be able to say, " It is well".

Over these past 3 months God has been teaching me so much as I grieve and miss my precious son.  It is a tricky phase to navigate.  Life and people are normal around you, but you feel anything but normal.  How do you function in your life when you don't feel like the same person you were 3 months ago.  You lean hard on Jesus, that's how.  I am a different person and I will never be the same as I was before.   And I know that is okay.  We have a long road of healing ahead of us.  I don't expect closure from this loss.  There will never be closure and I will always miss my baby, even though I know I will reach a point where it becomes less painful to live each day without him.  Ezra will forever be a part of our life, a part of our story.  My sweet little boy came into my life and changed me.  Are there moments that I wish I could go back and at least get to meet him in person?  To be able to see his sweet little eyes open, to feel him move in my arms instead of inside me, to hear his sweet little cries and coos?  Everyday I battle those thoughts and would love to have those memories.  But do I trust that God is good and that He will, "work all things for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose"?  Yes, I do.  Losing Ezra was the most awful and painful thing I have ever gone through, but I know God will use this terrible experience for good in my life and others.  It is not what I would have chosen, but I trust that God has good yet to come.

Sweet Ezra James, you taught me so much in your short 9 months.  You left your mommy in awe of the miracle of life.  As I held you in my arms in the hospital and saw your sweet little face, your tiny fingers and toes, and your cute little nose, Psalm 139 meant so much more.  Each little life truly is "fearfully and wonderfully made".  I have learned not to take a single moment for granted that God has given me with the people I love.  Life is a precious gift.  You also taught me that this is not my home.  You have already met our precious Savior and experienced your true home sooner than we expected.  Though I wish so badly that I could have held you longer, I am so thankful to know that someday when I reach my true home in Heaven, I will not only meet my Savior, but I will get to truly meet you face to face.  I've loved you from the moment I found out about you, Ezra, and will continue to love you each day of my life.















14 comments:

  1. Oh Ezra, we miss you so much. Michelle, I'm glad you were able to write. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm so blessed by your faith and endurance through this hardship. Thank you for sharing your private thoughts with honesty, and for blessing God through this huge trial. We know that you will receive the "crown of life" that James talks about. I can't wait to meet Ezra. I'm so glad that we still have you and that you're doing so well. I thank God for you. Love you and Tim a lot. If you ever need a friend to talk to or visit the cemetary, you know who to call. Love you, Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, that took kleenex to get through as i'm sure it did for you also...thank you for being so transparent and sharing your heart and thoughts as it probably wasn't easy. Your words have touched my heart and I wish I could give you a huge squeeze friend. My prayers and thoughts are continually with you and Tim! God is using your words and testimony to touch othesr out there! LOVE YOu!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears are running down my face. When I was 7 years old, God took my little brother to heaven. He was full term when he was stillborn. It killed him & nearly killed my mom. My mom was unable to have any more bio children after this, so she & my dad decided to adopt a baby from Korea. Fast forward to 2007--my husband & I also decided to adopt from Korea. We already knew what our son's name would be--Gabriel, after my little brother in heaven. God works in mysterious ways. I still grieve my brother's death, as is so painfully obvious when I read stories like yours. However, there are so many people in my life who wouldn't be there if he had lived. The addition of my youngest brother to our family from Korea paved the way for my sister's marriage to her husband (also an adoptee from Korea) & consequently, their son's birth. My other brother married a girl from Vietnam & they have 2 precious children. My husband & I have 2 blessings from Korea. My family was from a small, predominately white town. I don't think that we would have made the life choices we made if our horizons had not been broadened by a chubby Korean baby boy. I'm not sure what God is preparing for your life, but I know that He is already working in you. I'm so glad you had a chance to meet your son & say good-bye. I pray that God will comfort you as you remember the precious little life you held for such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mommy heart aches for you both still. At times I feel guilty for putting you at arm's length in my head because I know you still need the prayer and love so much, and yet, I don't know how to get through my own fun or awful moments if I focus continually on your sorrow. Just know that I bear this grief with you still. Deeply. It is well with my soul too, and I am so glad we'll all get to meet him one day. Please know you are both still so present in my mind. I love you both so much. Looking forward to our next family get together. All my love, J.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful boy and such loving parents. I think about all three of you and pray for you daily. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing. I've thought about you so much in the past few months and prayed for you each time. I hope you continue to write. You have such a beautiful heart and are such an encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle, thank you; your life is an incredible testimony of Jesus--and you bless me. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Shell,

    As difficult as it was to read this, I'm so glad that I could. Thank you for sharing a bit of your heart. I wish I could be there with you, not that I could DO anything, but I just want to BE there. But it is encouraging to read things like this and get a glimpse of how God is working in and though you. I love you so very much, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this, Michelle. My heart broke for you and your family when I read that Ezra was already home with Jesus. But it was also clear right away that you are a living testimony of real faith in the Lord. I don't know how people survive grief without Him. Thank you for sharing truly from your heart how precious life is no matter how long it lasts. You and Tim continue to be in my prayers as you walk this new road leaning hard on Jesus. Much love from Germany, Jessy Pfarrkircher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle,

    You have been on my heart each and every day since my sister shared your story with me. Please know that when God brings you to mind, I stop and pray for you the same prayers of healing that I know people prayed for me when my daughter went to Heaven. You are not alone on this journey of grief, and my heart just aches for you and the pain you are experiencing. If you need any support from another mother, please know that I am here for you.

    With tears of sympathy and prayers for healing ~ Kristine Jarmer (kristinejarmer@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just beautifully written, Michelle. I'm so sorry for this pain and loss. I'm so thankful for your and Tim's witness of leaning on Jesus. We've recently had some struggles and as we come out of the pain of them, I am realizing that nothing in my life has made me and my soul as WHOLE as pain and grief. I know that I am so much closer to the Lord, and that my character is more complete. I'm sure you are feeling the same. I pray for you and Tim often and look forward to the amazing things God will do in your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing your heart, Michelle. Of course I knew you were grieving, but I'm so glad to hear how God has comforted you. It is so hard to know how to help or what to say. You are so loved! God's promises bring so much comfort and, thankfully, a reminder of truth when we can't see clearly. This is part of your story and I know He will use you to encourage and comfort others in many life circumstances in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Michelle, I have thought about you and your precious Ezra so many times over the past four months. And today, as I was reading one of my favorite blogs, you came to mind again. Jess lost her baby girl four years ago, and shared some thoughts today that instantly made my heart think of you. You have such a beautiful voice in the way you wrote this post, and Jess' post reminded me of you, so I thought I'd share the link... www.jessmcclenahan.com/2013/02/a-reason-to-sing/

    ReplyDelete